Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I-N-D-E-P-E-N-Doh!

Anyone who knows me also knows that I am very independent, even sometimes to a fault.

Living on the island has humbled me. To this point (and I know I've only been here four days), I have had to be dependent. I have had to depend on Blair for transportation because, until yesterday, I didn't have my SOFA license allowing me to drive in Japan.

As soon as I got my license, I began driving on base trying to get used to sitting, driving, and even having the blinker switch on the opposite side from what I am used to. Directly after our errands for the day, I had Blair take me to buy a car (as you can tell, I was in a hurry to have my own vehcile). I asked Blair to drive off base until I could get used to the opposite driving situation. Normally, Blair would have had a car purchased and waiting for me, but here people are only allowed one car per licensed driver.

We went to a used car dealership that works with Americans. We found a car that will meet our needs, so we decided to purchase it. Buying a car here is unlike buying a car in the states. Back home, we spend several excrutiating hours at the dealership but leave with a car. Here, it takes less than 30 minutes to complete all the paperwork but then there is a two day wait to pick up the car.

Two excrutiating days!! Sigh.

Normally this would all be fine and dandy. However, today I needed to coordinate buying a shed (there is surprisingly little room for storage in the houses and none outside for lawn care items) and run some errands like buying dishes and groceries.

Also, most things here Blair has to do. He had to sign for and purchase the vehicle. He had to go sign for and purchase the insurance. I can do almost nothing without him present. I do understand this is because we are here on his orders and he is the one responsible if anything goes wrong over here. However, this is very hard for me to adjust to since I am usually the one who handles most of our business-type transcations.

It is very difficult to be immobile and unaccountable for myself. I will grow used to it and find ways to be as independent as possible while, for the first time, becoming fully aware that I am a military DEPENDENT.

No comments:

Post a Comment